Wednesday, September 15

Lake Tahoe Facts

I have so many beautiful pictures from Lake Tahoe.  We had a great time on vacation.  I thought I would share one of the photo’s for Watery Wednesday.

Lake Tahoe Facts;

Max Depth 1645 feet.  Average Depth – 1000 feet.  Diameter (North – South) – 22 miles.  Diameter - (East-West) – 12 miles.  Second deepest lake in the United States.  1,400,000 gallons of water evaporates every day.   You could cover the entire State of California with 14 inches of water from the lake.   You could cover the entire state of Texas with 8 inches of water from the lake.   

The Panama canal is 700 feet wide and 50 feet deep.  You could build a Panama Canal around the equator and fill it and have enough water left to build another Panama Canal from Southern California to New York and fill it with the lake water.

The water clarity of the lake is a depth of 70 feet.   How is that for some fun trivia?

No editing here..  Straight from the camera. This was taken at Emerald Bay.


Photobucket
Pin It!

5 comments:

Speedcat Hollydale said...

I want to homestead on that lil island !
Never knew the lake was so deep .. most MN lakes are 20 to 50 ft

Barbara said...

Beautiful. I can't wait to see more pics. I am hoping we can go there next year. :)Barb

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful picture, Michelle! I love the way you've used the trees to frame the lake...

I have visited Lake Tahoe in the past and know it to be very beautiful. Thank you so much for stopping by my page...:)

Lynette

Christo Gonzales said...

man - one day- I am certain we will meat...

RH said...

Great photo!